Ramsey, James 1925

Obituary – James Ramsey
Contributed to Genealogy Pit Stop
By Sheila Fritts
East Liverpool Review
Monday, 14 September 1925 – pg. 1

Three persons are dead, two of them having been fatally injured and a third succumbing to shock, and two others were hurt, as the result of two traffic accidents in the East Liverpool district over the weekend. Mrs. Jeannette Ramsey, 61, 145 Jackson Square, head crushed; died in City Hospital at 8:30 p.m. Sunday. James Ramsey, 35, her son, 145 Jackson Square, skull fractured; died in City Hospital at 11 p.m. Sunday. The injured – John Ramsey, 79, 145 Jackson Square, suffering from shock; at home of daughter, Mrs. Mary Mattes, 1124 Main Street, Wellsville. George Heverly, 32, West Seventh Street, cut on left hand; injuries dressed at City Hospital. Mrs. Ramsey and her son were victims of collision between an automobile and in which they and two others were riding and a west bound East Liverpool-Wellsville traction car on Wells Avenue, Wellsville, at 7:35 o’clock last night. The elder Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey had spent Sunday with their daughter, Mrs. Mattes, Wellsville, and in the evening their son, James, drove to Wellsville to bring them home in his automobile. He was accompanied by George Heverly, a neighbor. Returning from Wellsville the younger Ramsey and Heverly were riding in the front seat of the machine, a touring car, while the elder Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey were in the rear compartment. The auto had just passed over Wells run and was ascending the Wells Avenue grade when they met the west bound main line car, which was traveling on the east bound tracks, because of the street improvement which is in progress between the bridge and Third Street. Street car company officials declare that the auto was traveling on the right side of the street with sufficient clearage for the car to pass when Motorman M.R. Brown first noticed it. They claim that when the machine was within 50 feet of the trolley car, Ramsey swerved the automobile onto the street car tracks. The left side of the motor vehicle struck the left side of the street car. Heverly, and the younger Ramsey were thrown from the automobile, the former going over an embankment and the latter onto the bricked street. The elder Mrs. Ramsey’s head was apparently crushed against the bow of the automobile top as she was in a sitting posture when members of the car crew reached her side. Her husband was in the car, but was in a state of nervous collapse. The MacLean and Haugh ambulances from Wellsville were called and the four persons were taken to the hospital. Mrs. Ramsey, with the entire left side of her face caved in and lacerated, died a half hour after reaching the institution. Her son’s skull was crushed by a blow on the forehead, evidently sustained when he hit the bricked street, died at 11 o’clock. Both were attended by Dr. R.J. Marshall. The elder Ramsey was later removed to the home of his daughter. Heverly was discharged after lacerations to his right hand and ear had been dressed. Chief of Police John Fultz of Wellsville made an investigation of the accident. Traction company officials declare that Brown is one of the most careful men in their employ and that this was his first accident. They further charge that the Ramsey machine was traveling at a high rate of speed at the time of the crash. Friends of the Ramsey family declare that the motorman failed to dim the headlight on the car, which blinded the driver. Bodies of both victims of the accident were removed to the Haugh morgue, Wellsville. Double funeral services will be conducted at the Mattes home at 2 o’clock Wednesday afternoon. Burial will be made in Spring Hill Cemetery.