Trythall, Mrs. Alice 1903

OBITUARY – Mrs. Alice Trythall
East Liverpool Tribune

Lived for Hours, but died in agony after taking Laudanum
Woman who swallowed carbolic acid is dead
Every effort to save her life resulted in nothing.
Cause for the Deed Despondency
She is Believed to Have Swallowed the deadly Draught Thrusday
Night, But Her Condition Was Not Discovered Until She Was Beyond Help.

Mrs. Alice Trythall, the young woman who, in a fit of desperation superinduced by an attack of acute melancholia, swallowed several ounces of landanum Thursday night, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Frank Smith, in Jethro, died at 4:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon (September 4. 1903) after suffering excruciating pain. In spite of all that medical science could do to prolong the life she sought to end so tragically death came to relieve the sufferings and to satisfy the desire of the despondent woman.

Mrs. Trythall had not been in good health for a long time. This, together with financial reverses and an alleged love affair that proved disappointing proved too much for her strength of character and when no one was paying the least heed to her she suddenly swallowed the deadly drug. She came to the home of her daughter in Jethro Hollow Thursday evening and appeared to be downcast in spirits. She stated that she did not think she was long for this land. At 9 o’clock she and Mrs. Smith sad down on the front porch and conversed on many matters for sometime. In a few moments Mrs. Smith stated her intention to retire and Mrs. Trythall followed, both going to different rooms.

There was nothing transpired in the house to show that anything out of the ordinary had happened until a late hour when a border, Samuel Might, came home.

He was attracted by a peculiar odor which permeated the house bit retired without arousing any of the family. It was not long, however, until he was aroused by, alarming sounds from an adjoining room. He rose and called Mrs. Smith to whom he stated that her mother was no doubt ill. Mrs. Smith went immediately to the room of the woman where she found her writhing in pain and unconscious. She paid not the slightest heed to questions applied to her. Mrs. Smith in her excitement threw a shawl over her head and went for Dr. W. N. Bailey and brought him back with her. On examination Dr. Bailey knew at once what was the matter with the woman and took the necessary steps to save her life. He stated that in his opinion the case was hopeless and that owing to a weak heart the woman would die. He said the laudanum had evidently been in her system six or seven hours before his arrival. Everything was done to save her life, but she died the hour above mentioned.

Mrs. Trythall has been a resident of this city for sometime. She was twice married, her first husband being J. W. Woods, a former resident of this city, but who has been employed by the Steubenville, Mingo & Ohio Valley Traction company, at Steubenville for a number of years. Of the union two children , Mrs. Frank Smith, and Mr. John Woods were born. She was divorced from Mr. Woods and about one year ago she was again married to James Trythall. Mrs. Trythall was separated from her husband and had been making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Frank Smith for months.

John Woods, her son, who is employed at the La Belle Iron Works at Steubenville, was immediately notified of his mother’s death and he arrived in this city on the last evening train.

The funeral will be held at the home of Mrs. Frank Smith on Monday afternoon, complete arrangements to be made later.

Mrs. Trythall was a sister of Mrs. Emma Campbell, who it will be remembered was drowned in the Monogahela river lock No. 1 on June 11.