HISTORY WRITTEN IN STONE
MORNING JOURNAL Sunday, august 22, 1999
Voices from the past
The ghosts of history haunt our cemeteries
Burying the dead is an early necessity for every society, and Columbiana County which Began being inhabited in the 1700’s, was no different. Early settlers buried family members on their own farms and many of those graves can still be found today.
Later, as churches became prevalent, their yards became sacred burial grounds.
As the various settlements in the county grew into villages and cities, however, most towns organized their own cemeteries, usually along the main street of town. But, as these town grew, they usually outgrew their cemeteries and saw a greater need to devote the acreage to commercial ventures. Thus, many of the ‘in-town’ cemeteries were moved to hillsides outside of the business district. The moving of these cemeteries added much to local folk lore and these stories, along with the tales of the famous and heroic persons buried in these grounds help weave the rich history of Columbiana County.
This special Millennium Commemorative section looks at some of the oldest and most historic of our county’s cemeteries.
By Vincent F. Taddei
The Columbiana Cemetery was established in February 1868, and has roots that date much earlier.
Once the land had been purchased for the cemetery many of those belonging to various churches were discontinued. An ordinance was then passed in 1880 which provided for the removal of visible graves from these various locations to the new Cemetery.
According to the 1955 Sesqui-Centennial History of Columbiana there were three major cemeteries that contributed to the new site.
Upon farther observation it seems possible that these cemeteries contain tombstones removed from Quaker, Reformed and Methodist.
Among the cemetery’s landmarks is a mausoleum that was built in the 1920’s. The building is referred to as “the stick house” because the structure’s framework is actually on the outside.
The building was moved to the northwest drive and later turned into a tool shed. But soon a new tool shed was built and it was remodeled and uses as a chapel.
The cemetery also serves as a memorial to 171 men who served in wars as far back as the Revolutionary War.
Perhaps the most startling is the number of Civil War casualties resting in the cemetery. According to present records there is about 110 men who gave their lives in the Civil War. This is impressive considering the size of the town and the township.
Although the historical society has reasons to believe there are other Revolutionary casualties, Jacob Seachrist is the only tangible proof residing in the cemetery.
Similarly, there may be evidence leading to the fact that other men may accompany Isaac Hurtman and John Windle, who are two men listed for the War of 1812.
There are also 40 graves commemorating World War I casualties and 18 from World War II and the Korean Conflict.
The cemetery also contains the Firestone Memorial. It was planned by Harvey S. Firestone, who was born in the township and died on February 7, 1938, before the memorial was complete. His remains were later moved to the memorial which was dedicated on Sept. 28, 1940.
Words on his memorial truly symbolize the man he was. “Courageous Leader and Pioneer he transformed a gift of nature to the use of mankind and founded an industry which made his name known and honored around the world.”
By Lynette Jensen
Located south on the outskirts of Lisbon in Center Township on the hill overlooking the village is the Jordanville cemetery.
Buried here are the founders of the county and village, but it is here they are buried in anonymity, since very few know of their existence.
The Jordanville cemetery is tucked and hidden away from view by the woods which have encroached and taken back what originally was theirs.
There are even fewer who have hacked through the briars, bracken and bushes to find the markers and headstones dedicated to those who came before us.
The Jordanville cemetery is located on the south side of Grant Street, approximately 200 feet up a hill. The cemetery is 209 feet square and was created in 1808 after a fever epidemic hit the area.
The two acres of land was set aside by Reasin Beall
According to Gene Krotky, member of the Lisbon Historical Society, the idea was to bury people on the other side of the creek in order to keep the epidemic from spreading.
“They didn’t have the medical knowledge we have today. They didn’t know that by the time the person died, they had already infected others,” said Krotky.
The cemetery was established in 1808, but after 1835 there were few burials.
According to cemetery records, provided by the Lisbon Historical Society, found in this cemetery are the graves of John Thompson, a veteran of the War of 1812; Jacob Shawk, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and his wife Dorothea; Charles Florentine Leeper, the son of William D. Leeper the editor of the Ohio Patriot, the first newspaper published in the county and the second in the state; and Abner Allison, grandfather of President William McKinley.
Though every person buried in the Jordanville cemetery was part of the founding of this county and village and therefore very important for historical reasons, the area has been let go.
Center Township Trustee Charley Kidder said some of this is due to a discrepancy on the ownership of the land. Originally, the land was privately owned, but it is designated only as “cemetery” on maps.
Kidder said this is part of the reason that when attempts to clear and clean up the cemetery were made, they were voluntary. The other reason is because the township has no cemetery fund nor a cemetery levy. Kidder said they are reluctant to pull funds out of the general fund since there isn’t much money in there.
One of the attempts to clear the cemetery was performed in 1983 when Krotky said she took some of her kids from her class up to the cemetery. The cemetery was cleared yet again by JVS students in 1986. then in 1993 and 1997, the area was cleared by community service workers, said Kidder.
But today, nature had reclaimed its own. One headstone found among the bracken and briars, which amazingly was legible, was completely in German.
It reads “Hier ruhet in Gott Catharina, dochter des Johannes Blecher and Seiner Frau Elisabeth. Geboren den 15en September 1807, und gestrben den 9ten December 1808.
The translation may be “Here quietly in god is Catharina, the daughter of Johannes Blecher and his wife Elisabeth. Born Sept. 15, 1807 and died Dec. 9, 1808.”
This has to be one of the oldest markers since the cemetery was not opened for use until 1808. Krotky said many of those buried here were German.
Constance Whitacre, who made additions to the Jordanville cemetery records, said in her notes of the cemetery “When I visited it in 1957, it was in deplorable condition. It is one that should be restored and cared for. Once it must have been very nice. It is on a hill and is overgrown with briars and trees. Nobody cares.”
Many of the markers for the graves are illegible or barely legible after the weather, nature and time have worn away their words. But even without their words they whisper a wish of those who loved the people buried here – Remember.
Sandy Springs Quaker Cemetery
By Lynette Jensen
Probably the first cemetery in the Hanoverton area was the Sandy Springs Quaker Cemetery.
The Sandy Springs Cemetery is located on a hill north of Kensington and west of Hanoverton near where the Sandy Springs Monthly Meeting Society of Friends church was located on Campbell road.
The meeting house was erected around 1815 and the cemetery established somewhere around that time. Although no specific date was given, the first person to be buried in the Sandy Springs Cemetery was William Craig, father of James Craig, the founder of Hanoverton. He died early in 1808.
Numerous people are buried in this cemetery. Some of those buried were veterans of the Civil War, the War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War.
The founder and first elder of the church Stephen McBride was buried there. He was a veteran of the Revolutionary War and served as a private and a drummer boy with George Washington at Yorktown. He was 71 years old when he died.
Robert Miller, the son of James and Mary Miller, was a veteran of the War of 1812 and a government tombstone was placed at his grave.
Elisha Emmons, a veteran of the Civil War, died in March of 1896 from uremic poisoning. He is buried there with his wife Susanna, who died in February 1908. Their grave stones had not been found. Elisha was 67 when he died and she was 72.
Revolutionary soldier William Skelton is also said to be buried here although there is no stone.
Robbins Methodist Cemetery
By Lynette Jensen
One of the first cemeteries locate in Washingtonville is that of Robbins Methodist Cemetery. It is located in Salem Township off of High street at the Lurteran Church. The markers of this cemetery are difficult to read, but some of the stones have been transcribed.
Of the notable burials here is David Stouffer who was a veteran of the Civil War, serving in the 125th regiment. No age was available.
The earliest interment (according to the stones which are legible) here is Philip Houts who died Jan. 14, 1810. He was 48 years old.
Many of the headstones found in this cemetery are broken or illegible and several burial sites are without stones.
Trinity Lutheran Cemetery
By Lynette Jensen
The Trinity Lutheran Cemetery, also located in Washingtonville, is in Green Township. It is behind the church on Main Street, between High Street where the abandoned railroad line is located.
The church was founded in 1810 in which the German Lutheran and Evangelical Lutherans together worshiped.
There are several veterans buried here. Most of the markers no longer exist. The following were taken from the Henry Baldwin Collection at the Youngstown Public Library provided by the Cemeteries Inscriptions volumes.
Veterans of the Revolutionary War include John Roller, Diedrick Hoffman, Balzter Roller, John Zimmerman, Urban Betz and Christof Frederick Bilger.
John Roller died in January of 1819. He was 61 years old, two months shy of his 62nd birthday.
Deidrick Hoffman died Mar. 190, 1826. he was 74 years old.
Baltzer Roller was of Bedford County, Pa. And ceme from Huntingdon County, Pa. He died Nov. 30 1841 at 83 years old. His wife, Alse, was buried here as well. She died in February of 1847 at the age of 82.
John Zimmerman’s grave was unmarked as of 1907. His first wife was interred here. She was 38 years old when she died in Sept 1831.
Urben Betz was a private in Captain Samuel Patton Company in The Cumberland County Pa. Militia. He died in Nov. 1820 at age 72.
Christof Frederick Bilger died in Feb. 1822. He was 75. According to cemetery records his marker was inscribed in German.
Veterans of the War of 1812 include Jacob Weikart. He served as a private in Capt. Cobane’s company militia in Pennsylvania. He died in June of 1884. he was two months shy of his 93 birthday.
Joseph Zimmerman was a captain in the War of 1812. he was 73 years old when he died Oct. 1, 1854.
A metal veteran’s marker denoted the grave of Civil War veteran Mosheim L. Kindig. No age or date of his decease was in the records.
By Vincent F. Taddei
The historical cemetery is located on the south side of Lincoln Avenue in downtown East Palestine.
The cemetery has been previously called “Old East Palestine Cemetery,” and although there is no evidence that the site was ever quaker it was also referred to as “East Palestine Quaker Cemetery.
The inscription on the plaque truly reflects the tradition and historical significance that the cemetery contains.
It reads: ”Boatman Memorial Cemetery named for Bernard Boatman, Veteran of the American Revolution. Dedicated tot eh Pioneers and Veterans whose sacrifice established our heritage and insured our freedom. Resolution 1937, Nov. 8, 1976”
Various obituaries from the Valley Echo report veterans from as far back as the revolutionary war are buried at Boatman Cemetery. One grave that correlates with a report in the Valley Echo is that of Bernard Boatman. The broken and neglected grave displays the man’s efforts in the Revolutionary War before he died in January 1845 at the age of 95.
Yellow Creek Presbyterian Cemetery
By Amber Boyce
The first burial site of the Sctoch Settlement was on Township Line Road but when the line was run between yellow Creek and Madison Township, it passed through the middle of the site.
The site can still be seen on Township Line Road where the McIntosh family was buried.
In 1827, the Yellow Creek Presbyterian Church was laid out and was on John Smith’s farm where the church was to be erected. This is the spot where many of the ashes of those I the Scotch Settlement were lain to rest.
The first person buried here was the Jeanette, the daughter of “Prophet” McLean. Around the time of her burial there was commotion about “Body snatchers” who certain physicians felt were robbing the grave yards for “subjects.”
The friends of the McLeans decided that the body should not be disturbed and had it guarded night and day fully armed and ready to give ressurectionists a very warm welcome.
By Amber Boyce
Located just a few miles up 10th Street Extension in Yellow Creek Township is Springhill Cemetery.
The cemetery lies on approximately 49 acres, not including the catholic cemetery, St. Elizabeth’s, which is connected.
Buried here are the founder of the school system and many other people who made a difference in the creation of the small town along the Ohio River.
In 1835, founder of Wellsville William Wells donated one-acre of land to the town for the purpose of a burial ground. The ground he donated is the current site of the First Methodist Church’s parsonage, which is located at the corner of 8th and Main streets.
The first burial which took place was of a small child in 1800. Since then there were about 300 people buried there including William Wells and many of the early settlers of Wellsville.
In 1842, Wells had the burial ground surrounded by a stone wall with an inscription that read, “Erected by William Wells in 1842, at a cost of $750.
In his will he had written that the burial ground should be for his blood-relations or descendants and that it should be a burial ground forever.
In 1825, Wells donated an acre of land near where the car shops were (the corner of 12th and Main Streets, is is triangular in shape), near where the municipal building is today, for a burial ground until 1865.
In 1865 council authorized the purchase of land at the top of 10th Street Extension. The first burial in Springhill was that of Simeon Jennings on the day Springhill was dedicated.
The burial ground located at the current site of the municipal building was sold early in March 1872.
All bodies were removed from the cemeteries on Main Street and moved to Springhill where they bear the marker removed from the old graveyard.
Among those buried in Springhill are; Byron Beacom, the Wells family, Melvin E. Newlin, the Aten Family and many others.
Beacom was a former mayor who willed his estate to build a new gymnasium for the school and the remaining funds were to be used as a scholarship fund, the Byron D. Beacom Educational Association.
William Wells, the founder of Wellsville, and his family are all buried in Springhill after most were moved from the old burial grounds.
Going straight through the main entrance cemetery visitors would see the Melvin E. Newlin Memorial Veterans Chapel. Newlin was a veteran of the Vietnam War and won the Congressional Medal of Honor.
In 1804, Henry Aten moved to Wellsville and in 1811 he erected the first stone residence in the county. Aten Avenue in the lower end of Wellsville was named for him. He died in 1876 and was buried along with his family in Springhill.
Also there is a complete lisiting of all the war veterans buried in the cemetery in the Columbiana County Cemetery Inscriptions, Volume 20.
By Jo Ann Bobby Gilbert
Possibly one of the most picturesque cemeteries in Columbian County is Riverview Cemetery, perched high above the Ohio River along St. Clair Avenue and incorporated after city business leaders grew disenchanted with the city cemetery.
Shortly after the beginning of the 19th century, city faounder Thomas Fawcett donated an acre of ground on an elevated site at the western end of Fifth Street to be used fro a city cemetery.
The first person buried in this modest cemetery was memorialized only as “Granny Snodgrass,” whose two children were the next to find eternal rest beside her.
James Kelly and “Granny Taggart were the next souls committed to the earth as the city cemetery, which was described in one history book as “neatly-kept and handsomely shaded” with “many handsome headstones.’
According to cemetery Superintendent Helen Stenger, in the 1870’s, this neatly –kept resting place became a concern of the city’s business community, because it had fallen into disrepair. A group of about 60 businessmen decided to start a cemetery where they and their families, as well as other citizens, could be buried.
They raised $8,000 and began to search for an appropriate piece of ground, eventually settling on 40 acres on a knoll just outside the city. Riverview Cemetery was incorporated in 1882 and opened for burials in 1883.
According to local historian Joan Witt, family members of those buried in the original cemetery on Fifth Street were contacted to give directions on where they wanted their loved ones to be relocated. Since some of those buried had no remaining relatives, they were relocated on a percentage basis, with a certain number relocated to Riverview, others to Spring Grove and some to St. Aloysius or other cemeteries in the area.
“Practically everyone (buried) in section two (of Riverview Cemetery) came from the west end,” Witt said.
The abandoned cemetery is now the site of East Liverpool City Hospital, and Witt said the lot next to the hospital was once a city park which local children nicknamed “Skeleton Park,” due to its original purpose.
She said that, sometimes, bones would actually surface, primarily during excavation jobs, such as the new roadway.
The soldier statue that now rests at Riverview Cemetery was originally stationed at the west end cemetery, having also been relocated to the Diamond at one point.
With ist imposing stone gates, chapel and monument overlooking the valley, the cemetery is the final resting place of many well-known area residents, including all the businessmen who incorporated it, except one.
Homer Laughlin, founder of the Homer Laughlin China Co., moved to California some 13 years before his death and is buried in Inglewood Park Cemetery there.
A man Witt said was probably the city’s “most learned man” also found eternal rest at Riverview. Sanford Hill was the author of almanacs between the 1830s and 1870s and married twice, producing eight children before his death. Some of his almanacs are now preserved at the Thompson House, and he is remembered with a tall tombstone near another city legend, Will Thompson.
Thompson was a songwriter, businessman, composer and philanthropist who started his career by selling pianos from the back of a wagon. In addition to giving the world some of its most beautiful songs, including “Softly and Tenderly (Jesus is Calling),” he donated Thompson Park to the city
Also buried at Riverview is William Surles, Medal of Honor recipient from the Civil War who joined the Union Army at the age of 15. A year later, he threw his body in front of his commanding officer, Col. Anson McCook, as a Rebel soldier aimed at McCook.
Although the Confederate soldier was shot dead before he could shoot, McCook nonetheless recommended Surles for the Medal of Honor, one of the first to receive the award that President Abraham Lincoln had just authorized in to law.
Dr. George P. Ikirt, a local physician and politician, ran against William McKinley for a congressional seat in 1888. Although he lost, Ikirt was elected in 1892 to the House of Representatives as a member of the 53 Congress.
“A friend to the Poor” is engraved on the headstone of James Godwin, one of the richest men in East Liverpool history. He left behind the Godwin Poor Fund to help those who had “come upon the hard way as did he,” according to Stenger.
Dick Albright, a Salvation Army evangelist, is also buried here, and his grave is marked with a pink Bible. He, along with Tom Manton and Harry Webb (both also buried at Riverview) started the first Salvation Army Band in the country.
Jack Gilbert , a 1946 East Liverpool High School graduate, is buried near Thomas Fawcett, whom he memorialized in his “Collected Stories,” which featured East Liverpool as the setting for a fictional college town, Fawcettstown.
Gilbert gained national attention in 1983 for his founding of the National Failure’s Day, honoring those who have experienced failure in pursuit of a dream.
Other city cemeteries
At one time, there were two cemeteries located in the city’s East End, including an acre of ground donated in 1832 by G. D. McKinnon from his farm. This was earmarked for members of the religious denomination called the Disciples and also for the town’s poor. When this cemetery was abandoned, the bodies were reportedly relocated, for the most part, to the Fifth Street Cemetery which eventually was also abandoned.
According to Witt, McKinnon was reportedly the first white child born in this area, having been born in the late 1700s.
The other cemetery was located near Virginia Avenue.
On the west end of town, there is a single headstone marking a grave of a man Witt said served in the War of 1812 and who died between 1860 and 1870.
By Ryan Gillis
The dedication of Salem’s first cemetery is credited to the Society of Friends, who began interring their loved ones at a small lot on South Broadway, between East State and Pershing streets. This area is now the site of the Goodwill store.
The Friends used the property as a burial ground until about 1818. The remains of many buried there were moved in 1870 when J. Twing Brooks purchased the property and built the Gurney and Wilbur buildings. The bodies were relocated to a cemetery on what was then Depot Street, now South Ellsworth Avenue.
That burial ground still exists and is known as the Friends Cemetery. Among its occupants are the founders of Salem, Zodak Street Sr. (1751-1807) and John Straughan (1776-1858). At one time, Straughan owned the two acres of property where the cemetery now stands.
Eunice Street, Zodak’s wife, and Martha Straughan, the wife of John, are also buried there, as are Street’s son John and his wife Ann. John Street has the distinction of being he town’s first postmaster.
To the dismay of the Friends, city council passed an ordinance in April of 1890 preventing interments within city limits, except for burials at Hope Cemetery. Many members of the religious organization protested, because they wished to be placed at the Friends Cemetery with relatives that had already passed on.
Margaret Starbuck, who has researched the cemetery, has noted 14 marked burials dated after the ordinance went into effect. This number does not include those who may have been placed there after 1890 but whose stones are no longer legible.
Around 20 stone markers still stand in the cemetery, but the burial ground contains several rows of unmarked graves, as many as 36 rows, at one time. Unfortunately, no records exist to identify the occupants of most of these graves; however, Starbuck has compiled a partial list of Friends Cemetery graves based on those markers which can be read.
Two lots were donated to the Paptist Church trustees by John and Mary Straughan on Nov. 19, 1809. this property, located between Pershing and Wilson streets on South Ellsworth would become the city’s second cemetery.
The Baptists used the land for a church and cemetery, interring their members there until 1883, when state authorities forbid further burials at the site. The Baptist Cemetery then sat dormant until 1928, when the remains of those resting there were moved to Grandview Cemetery.
The years of neglect had taken their toll on the graves of the cemetery, however, and the names on most of the markers were unrecognizable. Of the nearly 300 bodies taken from the Baptist Cemetery, only 12 could be positively identified.
One of these belonged to David Gaskill, who died on Christmas Day in 1847. Gaskill is noted as one of Salem’s first industrialists, arriving in town in 1806 and helping to establish The Manufacturing Company of Salem, Ohio in 1818.
Burials began in the Methodist Cemetery in 1843, on an acre and a half of ground west of Howard Avenue, on Fourth Street, but the cemetery was only used for about 17 years, declining after Hope Cemetery was dedicated in 1853.
The remains of those buried there were unearthed in 1904 and moved by Grandview Cemetery caretaker Joseph Birkhimer, who laid each body in a wooden box and removed headstones, as well. Not only were these stone markers in poor condition and unidentifiable, but many of the coffins, and the bodies they contained, ere deteriorated beyond recognition or repair.
The bodies and markers were relocated to Grandview, which was first used as a cemetery about three years earlier, in 1901. A total of 113 sets of remains were found to be completely unidentifiable, and these bodies of “The Unknown” were reinterred in a mass grave set apart from the cemetery’s other burials by the large stone and bronze plaque resting over the site.
Also entrusted to Birkhimer at Grandview was a heavy metal coffin which had been removed during the excavation of the Baptist Cemetery in 1928.
The cat iron box was over six feet long and molded in the shape of a person. It has a sealed lid, with a window at the top, allowing mourners (and those diggers who later found it) to view the body inside.
By Ryan Gillis
It is reported that the first burial in Hope Cemetery happened some time around 1838. Part of the land on what was then Canfield Road (North Lincoln Avenue, today) was purchased by the Presbyterian Church in 1833.
The burial ground was laid out as the Salem Cemetery in 1853, but the name was later changed to Hope Cemetery, a title originally given to only a small section of the grounds, owned by Jacob Heaton.
Although most of Salem’s founders are buried at the Friends Cemetery, many prominent citizens and historical figures were interred in Hope ‘cemetery, and a large number of those graves can still be visited and recognized.
One of these men is Edwin Coppock. Coppock was a member of John Brown’s Raiders and was captured when the group made its famous raid at Harper’s Ferry. He was tried and convicted of treason by the State of Virginia.
On Dec. 16, 1859 he was executed.
Coppock was originally buried in Harper’s Ferry, but his body was recovered by relatives and moved to a grave in Winona. However, some members of Salem abolitionist community feared Coppock’s body would be stolen by confederate sympathizers or, even worse, by radical abolitionists.
For that reason they received permission from Coppock’s family to exhume the martyred young man’s body and relocate in in Hope Cemetery. A block of stone was placed over the grave to deter anyone still interested in desecrating the remains.
Some rumors even maintain that Coppock’s body actually rests in an unmarked lot across from the area designated as his grave. It is said that this was done in order to thwart those vandals not intimidated by other precautions.
By Amber Boyce
Nestled along state Route 644 going out of Salineville is the Woodland Cemetery.
It was originally locate at the current site of the Masonic Temple Lodge but was moved because the plot was too small. It was relocated in the late 1800’s to the spot on top of the hill. It rests on 17 acres of land in Washington Township.
The original burial ground was set to be used for the “Farmer” family but was opened for public use.
The burial ground was purchased for $600 in 1870. Since its opening in 1870 it is often referred to as one of the finest cemeteries in the county.
The first recorded burial at Woodland was in 1870, John Leishman. Since the opening of the cemetery there has been a civil war monument erected in honor of all veterans. There is also what is referred to as veteran row where most veterans of the different wars are buried.
Also buried in the cemetery is the first woman to hold a council seat, Bea Hazelett and a young girl who died in the Lake View School Fire in Collinwood which is near Cleveland. Her name was Dena May Pahner and she was born in Wellsville. On her grae marker there is a picture and in inscription that today is almost illegible. “Here in lies the ashes of Edna May Pahner.”
Many veterans of the Revolutionary War as well as the War of 1812 are buried in Columbiana County’s cemeteries.
Robert Hanna, a colonial pioneer and revolutionary patriot who appeared to be a major player in the Revolutionary War, is buried in Quaker Ridge Cemetery in West Township on the Carroll County Line.
The inscription on Hanna’s gravestone ays that he was a member of the secret provincial committee representing Westmoreland County, Pa., which met in Philadelphia Juy 15, 1774. the brave action of this committee on the constiitutional rights of the colonies led to the first Continental Congress and the Declaration of Independence.
Spring Grove Cemetery
By Jo Ann Bobby Gilbert
Half in the city and half in Liverpool Township, Spring Grove Cemetery was founded in 1885 on what was formerly the Blythe and Fisher farms, according to manager Virginia Myler. Myler has managed the cemetery for 31 years.
Adjacent to the cemetery is the St. Aloysius Cemetery, and the entire cemetery stretches to Myler park. According to historians, the Blythe family home still stands at the corner of Fisher Park and Lisbon Street.
Myler said the cemetery is not connected to any church and that, with the amount of property still unused, “We can bury people for the next 100 years.”
One well-known person who rests at Spring Grove is David Blythe, born in 1815, whose family farm once stood on the property.
Blythe became highly regarded for his painting, which he started by taking old parts of barns and painting on the slats. He painted portraits of leading citizens and also did some caricatures, making fun of the Civil War, politicians and society, according to historians.
Blythe’s work has been displayed at the Smithsonian, and just recently, the East Liverpool Historical Society restored four of his paintings. Others are in storage at the Carnegie Public Library.
He died at a young age after having lost his wife of just a few months. Some say he never got over the loss and “drank himself to death.” Although not famous in the technical sense of the word, another well-known person found eternal rest in Spring Grove; former Mayor William Devon, the only city mayor to die in office.
Devon’s grave is marked by an impressive stone commemorating his service to the community.
St. Clair Township Cemeteries
Possibly the oldest continuously-operated cemetery in the area is the Longs Run Cemetery in St. Clair Township, where the first burials were that of three boys, John Coburn, William Coburn and Perry Burke, between 1810 and 1812.
At least six Revolutionary War soldiers are interred in the cemetery , which is managed by volunteer Carl Kirkbride.
The first burying round in the township was a spot on John McLaughlin’s farm about a mile north of Calcutta, with graves dug under a clump of trees but no headstones relating who rests there.
It is presumed that Samuel Huston, one of St. Clair Township’s pioneers, is one of those buried in that early cemetery.
Along Campground Road in Liverpool Township, a private cemetery for the Devore family was reportedly started by Edward Devore, a slave who bought his freedom. Tombstones are still in evidence on the property.
Also on private ground along Irish Ridge Road, a soldier who served in the War if
West Grove Cemetery
In the West Grove Cemetery, Carroll County, just outside of Salineville lie two Confederate soldiers.
In 1863 Gen. John Hunt Morgan and his calvary travelled through Columbiana and Carroll Counties. He left two men behind at the West Grove Cemetery. One of which is identified as a “mere boy.”
Morgan’s raid ended with his surrender at a farm near Lisbon, marking not only the northern-most advance of Confederate troops during the Civil War but the only fighting to occur on county grounds.
Bethel Church Cemetery
In 1821, a burial ground was opened for public use, which was donated by Thomas Patterson. It was the burial ground that is now adjacent to the Bethel Church.
The first person buried in the Bethel Church yard was a McCartney who was noted as being crazy.
It was noted in the History of Columbiana County, “It is a solitary grave marked now by a clump of bushes, near where the first township school-house stood, is where John Roley buried a child in 1820.”