Armstrong, Mrs. John and daughter Katherine 1919

NOV. 21, 1919

Mrs. John Armstrong And Small Daughter Meet Tragic Deaths
Victims Run Down by Machine At Kountz Avenue Last Night–Mother Instantly Killed While Child succumbs 20 Minutes Later– Auto was Driven by Cletus Patterson of Wellsville–Woman Believed to Have Become Bewildered at Approach of Another Machine From Opposite Direction–Husband and Father on Hunting Trip Not Located.

MRS. JOHN ARMSTRONG, 32, was instantly killed and her three year old daughter, KATHERINE, was so badly injured that she died within 20 minutes after they were run down by an automobile at Kountz avenue on the East Liverpool-Wellsville road, shortly after 8 o’clock last night. The machine was driven by Cletus Patterson, 17, son of George B Patterson, prominent Wellsville contractor.
With her little child in her arms, Mrs. Armstrong was enroute to a nearby grocery store from her home in Kountz avenue. Believed to have been bewilderd by the approach of an automobile, enroute to Wellsville, the woman stepped directly into the path of Pattreson’s machine, which was proceeding toward East Liverpool.
Hurling them to the ground, the wheels of the automobile passed over the prostrate forms of Mrs. Armstrong and her little daughter. Patterson brought his machine to halt. Believing that life migh not have left the body of the woman, occupants of the machine placed her aboard and she was rushed to the East Liverpool hospital. Upon their arrival at the institution physicians pronounced the woman dead.
Occupants of the automobile, west bound, and bystanders, carried the little child into Frail’s grocery store, near the scene of the accident. Dr. A. B. Holland of Wellsville, was summoned, but before he could reach the scene live was extinct.
Bodies of the two victims were removed to the MacLean morgue at Wellsville, an hour later and prepared for burial. Funeral arrangements had not been completed at an early hour this morning.
At midnight, John Armstrong, husband and father of the victims, who left last eve3ning upon a hunting trip, had not been lo0cated and did not know of the sad accident. Nellie Armstrong, aged 6, only other child of Mrs. Armstrong, was being cared for my neighbors.
Physicians asserted following the tragic accident, that the two victims died from internal injuries. No examination of the bodies was conducted to ascertain whether any bones were broken.
According to a story told by young Patterson late last night, he with four other Wellsville lads–Charles Grafton, Carl Dowling, Gerald Crumbley and “Babe” Gillespie–were enjoying an automobile ride to East Liverpool.
When they reached the top of a short grade near Kountz avenue they noticed a car approaching toward them. Both drivers, he asserted, dimmed their lights. He was blinded however, he said, by the glare of a spotlight on the other machine. He did not see the woman and little child until they were within a yard of his car. He immediately applied the brakes, he claimed, but was unable to come to a halt before Mrs. Armstrong and her daughter were knocked to the road and the wheels had passed over their bodies.