H. JUDSON ‘JUD’ ENGLISH
JAN. 24, 2006
EAST LIVERPOOL – H. Judson ‘Jud’ English, 90, of Dilworth Avenue, died Sunday, San. 22, 2006 at 3:40 p.m. at the East Liverpool Convalescent Center following a brief illness.
Born in East Liverpool, Ohio, on May 8, 1915, Harry Judson “Jud” English was the son of the late Nettie Dye Cochran English and James Samuel English. He was also preceded by a step-father, Theodore ” Ted” Scheffer, who was instrumental in raising him from the time he was a young boy. A 1933 graduate of East Liverpool High School, he resided in this area virtually all of his life.
On Jan 11, 1940, he married the former Evelyn Clarice Davis of East Liverpool, and they later became the parents of one son, J. Brent English, of East Liverpool. There are two grandchildren; Mrs. Julie Ford and her husband John of New Middletown, and Doug English and his wife, Marci, of Columbiana. In addition, there are two great-grandchildren: Callie and Jacob Ford of New Middletown.
A lifelong member of the First United Methodist Church, he was past chairman of the board of trustees and also served for five years as Sunday school Superintendent. He was foreman of the conditioning department at Crucible Steel before entering the armed services for a three-year enlistment during WWII. From June 1943 until May 1946, he served as a staff sergeant in the European Theatre, and for 18 months was affiliated with the Air Transport Command Division of the U. S. Army Air Corps, serving as line chief at Orly Air Base in Pairs. After attending automobile, aircraft and mechanic school, along with travel and management schools, he became connected with various phases of automobile dealership, sales, service and general management, and later owned his own dealership. He was honored in 1958 as the second-most knowledgeable in the nation among auto dealers.
in February of 1959, he began his long-time association with the Columbiana County Motor Club. What started as a management position later developed into the establishment of a business which was a mainstay of the downtown commerce district for many years. In addition, he had been a member of the Board of Trustees of the Ohio Automobile Association and had served as its vice-president, along with membership on the advisory committee of the National AAA.
His many contributions to the community include serving as president or vice presdent of more than 15 area organizations: he was local president of the Kiwanis Club and state lieutenant governor; past master of Negley Lodge No. 565 of the Free and Accepted Masons; chairman of the East Liverpool YMCA Board of Directors; chairman of campaigns for the Red Cross and the United Way; president of the East Liverpool Area Chamber of Commerce; president of the Lake to River Highway Association; first president and founder of the Tri-State Pottery Festival; and City Hospital fund drive chairman. He was the 43rd recipient of the Civic Service Award by the East Liverpool Area Jaycees.
Often speakin to various civic and community groups about the travel industry, he was the first PTA president at Westgate School and was later instrumental in getting the bond issue passed for the new high school when serving as chairman of the Citizens Commission of Education in 1964. A Consummate booster of young people, he was also involved with the Boy Schouts as chairman of the Southern District Columbiana County Leadership Training and with several other Scout troop committees. He also served as special gifts chairman of the Hospital Expansion Fund. A past Board member of the former First Federal Savings and Loan, other memberships included the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks Lodge No. 258, the Community Improvement Corporation, Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge, the American Legion, and the Al Koran Shrine of Cleveland as well as the East Liverpool Shrine Club. He enjoyed golf, fishing, swimming, gardening and traveling.
Pastor Jonathan Truax of the First United Methodist Chruch conducted funeral services Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2006, at Columbiana County Memorial Park where full military honors were provided by the Tri-State Veterans Burial Group.
Arrangements were handled by the Dawson Funeral Home.
Memorial tributes may take the form of contributions in cazre of the East Liverpool Area YMCA, 500 East Fourth Street, East Liverpool.
View this obituary and send condolences online at http://www.dawsonfuneralhome.com.