Nichols, Mason 1911

Front Page Article
Mason Nichols’ Death
Contributed by Judy
The Evening Review, East Liverpool Monday Oct. 2, 1911 front page


Dashed Before Interurban Tri State Traction Car Just Off Viaduct


Children, Witnessing Accident, Were Prostrated as Was Motorman McDaniels


Injured Boy Uttered No Sound, His Body Crushed, Hurried to Hospital


Dashing across the tracks of the Tri State Railway and Electric Co. while playing with companions at the east end of the Sixth Street viaduct at 1 o’clock this afternoon Mason Nichols, age 14, son of Willis Nichols of Fourth Street, a pupil in the seventh grade at the Sixth Street school, was knocked down and instantly killed by a west bound traction car. The body was dragged about 20 feet, the side of the head being terribly mangled. Eating candy and apparently in a very happy mood, the youngster was enjoying himself at recreation with Charles Zader and Clem Allison, school chums, on the south side of Sixth Street. One of the playmates had asked him for some of the confections and the usual boyish tricks followed. The unfortunate youth suddenly broke away from his friends and ran directly in front of the interurban which was in the charge of Motorman Harry McDaniels and Conductor John White.

The lad had almost cleared the eastbound track, when the fender of the car struck his right leg and knocked him down. He was pulled beneath the bed of the car and dragged along the ground. The youth was crushed to death before the eyes of his helpless friends. Not one cry of alarm was heard from his lips.

Frantically working at the controller, Motorman McDaniels did everything within his power to stop the car. As soon as possible the brakes were applied. The lifeless form of the youth was tenderly taken from beneath the car and rushed into the City hospital. An examination showed the right side of the head was mangled while his right side was crushed.

Completely prostrated by the accident, Motorman McDaniels cried like a child. His nerves were so wrought over the terrible affair that he refused to operate his car to the Diamond. Conductor White assumed charge of it. It is conceded that the accident was unavoidable. However, bystanders declared that if a safety stop order had been in effect at that point, the fatality might not have occurred. It is said the cars do not stop in either direction at the viaduct.

Following the tragedy, the mother of the little fellow was notified. she immediately rushed to the hospital. Leaning over the body of her beloved son, she sobbed aloud. The accident had a dire effect upon the fellow schoolmates of the young Nichols. A favorite with them, his death came as a great shock. The boys and girls in his room broke down in sorrow. Miss Angie Moore was his instructor. As a result of the accident, no session of school was held in the seventh grade in the Sixth Street building this afternoon.

The remains of the youth were removed to the Todd morgue, where they will be prepared for burial. This marks the third sudden death in public school circles in the past few day. Truant Officer James Hague dropped dead Friday, while young Theodore Watters who was killed in a fall from a tree Sunday morning, had only left school a short time ago.

Funeral Notice Mason Nichols
Contributed by Judy
The Evening Review, East Liverpool, Ohio
Tuesday Oct. 3, 1911 page 10


Funeral services over the remains of Mason Nichols, the victim of Monday’s street car accident, will be held from the Grosscross residence, Seventh Street and Dresden Avenue, at 3 o’clock Wednesday afternoon. Rev. J. F. Dimit will officiate. Interment will be made in Riverview Cemetery. Friend may view the body from 7 to 10 o’clock this evening.